Sunday, November 20, 2011

The creation of a revolution.

Currently sitting in my room in Zamalek Dorms, not terribly far away from downtown, but just far enough away that it has the facade of being completely distant and isolated - almost like a different city all together, I wouldn't even know what was going on in Tahrir Square if I didn't have Al Jazeera, Egyptian news service, streaming live in English on my computer. I'm not going to pretend I know everything, all the details, of what's going on around me because honestly, I don't. Before I go any further, family and friends back home in the States and in other countries abroad, I want to make it clear that I am completely safe and okay. I have no intention on going to Tahrir and taking that risk. Zamalek is nice and safe. Anyway, I haven't written in a while, mainly because work has been piling up. But as protests in Tahrir grow to be a bigger presence, and conflicts rise once again I have some sort of small inkling of what it was like to be here in January.

In my anthropology class just the other day, Peoples and Cultures of the Middle East and North Africa, we got off topic only slightly and began talking about the Egyptian revolution. The date that many people associate with the beginning of the protests against Mubarak and the government is January 25th. Dates are important in Egyptian culture (I mean, we have October 6th Bridge, October 6th City, 26th of July Bridge/Street, and many others) but the 25th of January was something else before it was the day of the revolution.

The 25th of January, before 2011, was known as Police Day in Egypt. This day was meant to commemorate the 50 Egyptian policemen killed and wounded when they refused to give Ismaili Police Station up to the British forces in 1952. In 2009, Mubarak (still in charge) made it an official holiday. It took more than fifty years to recognize the strength of those police officers of the past who were fighting for Egypt. And then on that same day, two years after it was declared a holiday, the people protested against the police, and against the military.

Who would've thought? It's doubtful that the 25th of January will be known as Police Day again; the first thought in people's minds is the start of the Revolution. Many don't even know of Police Day. And it will probably stay that way.

Elections are supposedly coming up soon. Some of my classes have been moved to Saturdays instead of their respective Mondays and Wednesdays. The first election day is November 28th... hopefully. While I am very glad for Egypt to have a chance at proper democracy, I was a little annoyed that I have to go to class on a Saturday. Okay, more than a little annoyed. But there's nothing I can do. I will admit I'm a little fearful of what's going to happen with the elections themselves. Nothing's very predictable at this moment in time.

Today, I came home from the bus ride (aka mobile nap time) just like yesterday and saw the staff of the dorm in front of our big screen, watching the news. The news isn't really entirely helpful when it's all in Arabic, but from the look of things, we could tell what was going on. Today, we came home to see the police ripping down banners in an empty Tahrir Square, and kicking abandoned motorcycles that got left behind when rubber bullets and tear gas were released on protesters, and setting them on fire to make it harder for the protesters to come back. I went upstairs, arguing the logical thinking of the police in my mind (I know it's their orders, but why burn them? Why make it look like the protesters set it on fire when you're on TV?) and found a link to Al Jazeera English live stream.

The live stream is saying that the demands of the mass march and protest has dwindled down to one: end military rule, and the protesters feel as though the military council has "hijacked their revolution". Also, to roughly quote, "It seems as though there are alternate universes that are running parallel right now. The protesters fighting against military rule, and the parliamentary candidates who are solely focusing on how to win an election that is coming up very soon."

I can ensure my friends and family that I am completely safe, and won't make stupid decisions, ever. It's enthralling and slightly scary at the same time to be here during the creation of a revolution. It didn't just end with the ousting of Mubarak, but the Egyptians are making the revolution and experiencing the counter-effects each day they gather in public spaces - whether in Alexandria or Cairo. An opportunity of a lifetime, while also being sheltered and kept safe.

I can't pretend that I know entirely what's going on. But I can, for those who are interested - shoot you towards some good links for more information.

Al Jazeera English Live News Stream

Battle rages for control of Tahrir Square - Al Jazeera

Egyptian military police fight protesters in square - BBC News (Middle East)

Don't worry guys. I'm safe. AUC is safe. Zamalek is safe. No, Memaw. I can't hear the protesters from my room. It's too far away for me to hear. The most I hear is fireworks when there's a wedding at Marashly Church across the street. Map of where I am in relation to Tahrir and the geographic centre of Cairo. I am the red circle furthest left. Tahrir is the circle towards the bottom, and the one off to the right is the geographic centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment