Friday, August 19, 2011

The beginnings of an adventure...

Through lots of stress and figuring out lots of things, also when I should be packing, I've made it this far! I leave tomorrow for Egypt. My flight takes off at 11:00 and I'm super excited. I'm going to try and keep this as updated as I can, so that way I don't have to send a bazillion emails to everyone and write different versions for different people. However, if you'd like personal one on one communication, I'd be glad to email you! So I'll be staying on AUC's old campus dorms - Zamalek, which is actually a region of downtown Cairo that encompasses some of the island seen below in the Nile river. It's about half an hour away from New Cairo, where AUC is currently located.

Zamalek
New Cairo, AUC Campus

I'm really excited to live in Zamalek and get the best of both areas, both Downtown Cairo, and the New Cairo area. I still am having problems believing that I leave tomorrow morning! I'll admit it fully, I miss Gettysburg a lot and part of me wishes that I was going back to the land of the blue and orange instead of the land of camels and desert. But! I promised many people they'd be getting a camel in the mail and you can't find those in Gettysburg, so it's off I go!

I'm really excited for classes to begin as well. They start September 4th, after my orientation and after a little vacation (possibly to use for travelling?). I'm taking a survival arabic course during orientation that will help me with the language a little. I've been teaching myself a few letters and words as far as writing goes, but pronunciation and word recognition when spoken is... not... very good. Hopefully I'll pick some up! My classes all sound very exciting! I'm taking a Hieroglyphics course, Art & Architecture in Ancient Egypt, Chemistry Art & Archaeology, Peoples and Cultures of the Middle East and North Africa, and Zionism & Modern Judaism! It's a bigger course load than I would be having at Gettysburg, but that's alright with me!

I will keep everyone updated as best as I can, either through this blog, emails, or letters to everyone!

The next time I update, it will be when I'm in Cairo! :)

1 comment:

  1. Well, you'll have to keep me informed, especially with the Peoples and Cultures course and the Zionism course. Those both sound super interesting. I'm so jealous of you and I hope you have a great time (which I know you will). Take care and keep in touch.

    Love,
    Your Twinny.

    ReplyDelete